Monday, January 4, 2010

I did it! It was a long time coming and a bit of a mind bending paradigm shift but I did it!. I didn't go Christmas shopping. Allison gave me the clue and I took it as permission to rethink Christmas. I gave my 8 kids and 33 grandkids a part of myself instead and I loved doing it, every minute. They received a pictorial history of the first 20 years of my life including the Washinton DC years, the Atlanta years, the Las Vegas years , the Provo years and all the joys and trials that went with it. You would think that I had told them all of that but I am still getting comments like.."I didn't know half of the things you talked about" "See Grandma turned down her first love for a temple marriage and see how that turned out." "Dad's engagement letter was so dear." "When is the next installment?"
Well with 20 years per Christmas, I will be good for the next for the next three or four years.
For the Grandchildren, I wrote two children's stories and asked for illustrations from my little ones, big ones too. We have some pretty awesome artists in the group. The stories will remind them of people familiar to the family and all have a Grandmother's note at the end giving kind counsel to those I love the most.
Just think, no crazy Target lines, no parking lot woes, no decisions about who needs, wants, likes what. Just puttering around in my picture files and remembering the wonderful blessings of times past, doing what I have needed to do for years.
I recommend it. Skip the Walmart ads and just do it. Give a part of yourself next Christmas and go visit them with the money you have saved.You know, Christmas, up close and personal.

1 comment:

  1. I Am looking forward to some quiet time to read your stories! We had so much fun at your house for Christmas! We are almost home-only 1 more hour! The drive was worth it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete